01 March 2012

Rearset Mounts

I've been on the fence for quite a while as to how I wanted to mount the rearsets.  I've seen a ton of bikes that just used the passenger peg mounts in one way or another so that was the first way I mocked it up but it just didn't feel right.  It also lead to some other issues like where to mount a stopper for the right rearset so that brake linkage didn't pull it out of position.  Making custom mounts seemed to be the only solution to get the result I was looking for.

Getting ready to remove the passenger foot peg mounts.

Now the hard part begins; grinding away all of the extra metal and welds.

I cut the new mounting points for the rearsets out of 1/4" steel plate.

Another view of the mounting points with the spacers removed.

Here is a look at the wood mockup I made for the rearset mounts and the
finished "blanks" for the steel rearset mounts.  I made these out of the same
1/4" steel plate as the mounting points.

I used a paper template as a guide for the hole placement.

The holes were enlarged with a step bit from both sides to create clean,
chamfered  holes.

Stainless hardware from BoltDepot.com

A perfect fit thanks to many, many paper and wood mockups.

This setup will be much more comfortable (at least for me) than using the
passenger peg mounts as I've seen done on so many other bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment