10 March 2012

Engine Reassembly #3

With all the effort I've taken to make the engine look as clean and new as possible there was no way I could just bolt the crud covered starter motor back on.  I decided to completely disassemble it, clean it, paint the case and reassemble.  First I made sure that I could get a replacement if I happened to destroy it in the process.  They seem pretty affordable and plentiful on eBay so I  got to work.

40 years of abuse from water and road crud left the starter looking rough.

Only the cases are only held together by the 2 screws on the outside.

All the guts.

Masked off and primed after a good cleaning with degreaser.

A few coats of paint and they look brand new.

Ready for reassembly.

I have no idea what all these parts are called.

Greasing up the end caps and planetary.

I used a 25mm socket to press the bearings and planetary back together.

Planetary gears get a heap of grease.

Reconnecting the wiring.

I bead blasted the screws that hold the whole thing together and then gave
them a quick buff to make them match the stainless fasteners I'm using.

No comments:

Post a Comment