12 March 2011

A Nice Little Saturday

Lots of time spent in the garage today.  It was even warm enough to work with the garage door open for a while.  I built a new cart to hold the bike during mockup and later during final assembly.  I needed something with larger casters on it because the old cart kept getting stuck as I moved it around.  This one is lower, wider, and has the jack bolted to it resulting in a much sturdier platform to hold the bike.

After that was done I got the bike strapped down and installed the rear tire and brake support bar.

The new cart rolls around the garage with ease.

Before calling it quits I put on the tank and seat that I ordered from BCR a few months ago.  I have mixed feelings about the work.  From a distance it all looks great but up close there are a lot of little things that bug me about the parts.  Both the tank and seat have some issues with fittings and the battery tray is not going to fit on the frame without some assistance from the grinder.  The bracket that came with the tank and see to mount it to the frame doesn't fit either.  The holes don't lines up with the CB450's stock tank mount holes so I'll be fabricating my own bracket no matter what.  I don't know, maybe I'm being to nitpicky but for the money I paid I expected the end result to be a little more "polished."

Looks good from a distance.

I think one of the things that bugs me the most is that the tail light is a little bit off center.  Not a big deal if you're painting the tail a solid color but with the striping that I had planned it would be very noticeable.

I'll definitely need to order my new shocks a couple inches longer than stock.

I think I'll use the tank and seat for now and then figure out what to do later on.  They can be swapped out easily enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment