06 March 2011

Controls and Mockup

Today I decided to take another crack at the controls. I drilled and tapped a new hole next to the old screw that I stripped yesterday. The screw only holds a wire clamp in place so its placement isn't crucial. I think it will work.


After that "success" I tackled the LH controls. This side looks like it has seen the pavement close-up. The pin inside the housing that lines the controls up on the bars is bent and loose. It would take a good bit of force to do that. The indicator switch has some issues of its own. It will go to the right and back to center with no trouble but it will not go to the left. My hope of keeping the stock controls is slipping away. I'm going to hit up eBay later to see if I can find some replacements.

The locator pin is pretty jacked up.

I'm at the point where I need to start mocking up the bike so I can decide what I'm keeping and what I'm going to replace. The mockup will also make it much easier to figure out what parts will be powder coated, painted, or polished. I strapped the frame to a dolly for the time being so I can push it out of the way when I need to.

It's slowly starting to look like a bike again.

Since I cut out the old suspension bushings yesterday I made a temporary set out of a wooden dowel for the mockup.

I was surprised that this actually worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment