05 March 2011

Cleaning Up the Swingarm

Today I cut the chain guard mounting tabs off of the swingarm and ground them smooth. Then I removed the old suspension bushings (or whatever they're called). I knew I would need to remove them before powder coating so I figured I take care of it while I had the tools out. They took a bit work but eventually I got them both out. First I drilled out the crusty old rubber and then used a jig saw to make some relief cuts in the bushing's outer "shell" being careful not to cut all the way through and damage the swingarm. Once the cuts were made the bushings came out with a few taps from a hammer/screw driver.


I also disassembled the RH control switch and removed it from the old handle bars. I'd really like to keep the stock controls but I'm not sure if that will possible now. I stripped the head on one of the tiny screws inside the control housing and wasn't able to get it out with an extractor because of its size. The extractor just twisted the head off of the screw. I decided to call it quits for the night after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment